What is Python?
Python claims to be one of those rare languages which are both simple and powerful. Many experienced developers recommend this, as the language to begin from. Why? mainly because of it’s easy to go syntax. Not only that, this language also offers a great set of code functionalities as well.
This language is also considered as one of the most popular object-oriented languages as it lets you focus more on the solution rather a problem itself. What makes it ranked among the top 10 programming languages in the world? let’s find out.
But first, let’s see what its definition has to offer?
Definition: “Python is a multi-paradigm, general-purpose, interpreted, high-level programming language. Python allows programmers to use different programming styles to create simple or complex programs, get quicker results and write code almost as if speaking in a human language. Some of the popular systems and applications that have employed Python during development include Google Search, YouTube, BitTorrent, Google App Engine, Eve Online, Maya and iRobot machines.”
Why was it created?
Reason behind its creation- In 1980’s Guido van Rossum (Creator of Python) was working on Amoeba distributed operating system group. He really wanted to use a language which must have easy to go syntax. So he decided to create a language that must be extended later. This lead to the creation of a new popular language which is called by the name “Python” these days.
The story behind the name- If you are thinking the Rossum was obsessed with snakes then you might be thinking wrong. it was not named after this dangerous creature. Actually, the real reason behind this name was Rossum interest in comedy series from the late seventies. The name “Python” was adopted from the same series Monty Python’s Flying Circus.
Features Of Python
- Simplicity- Python is very well renowned for its simplicity. Its syntax is so simple that even a 6-year-old kid can learn it. Also compared with other programming languages such as c and c++, programs written in this language are more fun. Many countries treat this language as first to be taught to the students. So if you are new to programming and confused with where to start from then this language will be good to go for you.
- Free and open source- it’s absolutely free and open source programming language. It allows you to freely distribute its copies for commercial use as well. You can even manipulate its source code. This is one of the reasons why this language is best rather than others.
- Object-oriented- Similar to c++ and java, this language is also a high-level object-oriented programming language which lets the programmer divide the big complex program into small chunks. This is done by creating small objects modules.
- Portable- Programs written in this language can be moved to any operating system without any technical hindrance. Python programs run as smooth as butter on a hot pan regardless of any operating system such as Linux, Unix, Mac OS, and windows.
- Highly extensible and Embeddable- You can make an application faster by combining c++ code with python code. This makes it more extensible. This results in high performance and more reliability.
- Large set of standard libraries- This language is equipped with a large set of standard libraries which reduces the burden of the programmer as he doesn’t need to put all the code by himself. For example, if a programmer wants certain type of functionalities in his code then he can add the library which contains those functions. These libraries are well tested and used by millions of users.
Applications of Python
Python is widely popular among the programmers. So many applications are created using this language. Here we are listing some applications which are made using python.
- Web Applications- Yes web applications can be created using this language. It can be done using frameworks and content management system which are built on python. Popular websites such as Reddit, Mozilla, and Instagram are written in this language.
- Scientific Computing- Libraries like SciPy, NumPy, EarthPy, AstroPy are used for scientific and numerical computing where SciPy library is used for scientific computing, NumPy is used for numerical computing and mathematical functions, EarthPy is used for earth science and AstroPy for Astronomy and so on.
- Software Prototypes – This language is also widely used for creating software prototypes as well. For example, we can use the Pygame library to create our first game prototype, and then can further link c++ code to convert it into the actual game.
Various Resources to learn Python
Similar to any other language there are tons and tons of resources to learn python as well. Of course, you can take offline courses in your city or can look for free or paid online courses too. So here we are listing some of the best available resources on the internet which provide extensive tutorials on this amazing language.
Or if you prefer learning from books then follow – 5 Best Python Programming Books for Beginners 2018