What is Ruby programming?
Ruby is a general purpose and object-oriented programming language, Developed by “Yukihiro Matsumoto” a software developer from Japan. This language is capable of working on all major platforms such as “UNIX“, “Windows“, “Mac Os” and “DOS“.
It has also made to the list of Top 10 programming languages in the world. Want to know how? well, in this article we have provided you with everything related to Ruby programming, So keep an eye on it.
But first, let’s see what its definition has to offer.
Definition- “Ruby is a dynamic, interpreted, reflective, object-oriented, general-purpose programming language. It was designed and developed in the mid-1990s by Yukihiro “Matz” Matsumoto in Japan. According to the creator, Ruby was influenced by Perl, Smalltalk, Eiffel, Ada, and Lisp. It supports multiple programming paradigms, including functional, object-oriented, and imperative. It also has a dynamic type system and automatic memory management.”
Why was it created?
First of all, Ruby wasn’t created for specific tasks. Its creator wanted to design a language which can be used as a scripting as well as an object-oriented (such as Python)at the same time. So it has the best of both worlds.
Story Behind The Name- The story behind the name of this language is a bit interesting. Initially, two names were proposed: “Coral” and “Ruby“. But later its name was originally generated during an online chat session between Matsumoto and Keiju Ishitsuka (Japenese Developers).
Features of Ruby programming
- Free & Open source – Its free and open source programming language which is easily available on the internet.
- General Purpose & Object Oriented- Ruby is a general purpose and object-oriented programming language. It’s also a server-side programming language similar to Python and PERL.
- Easily Connectable – Ruby can easily be connected to MySQL, DB2, Oracle, and Sybase.
- Similar Syntax- Ruby also shares a similar syntax with other popular programming languages such as C++ and Perl.
- High-level language- Its a high-level language which simply means more human less computer. By this, we can say that it will be as easy as learning C and C++ or any other high-level programming language.
- Fantastic Community- There are some incredibly high-quality official documentation and some secondary learning materials that have been created and are supported continuously that make Rails an incredibly friendly and open community.
- Amazing Job Opportunities- There are tons of job opportunities for a Ruby developer. Many famous websites were made using Ruby and they are always in search of Developers who have a skill and a knack for problem-solving.
- Other Features- It can be used to write CGI (Common Gateway Interface) Scripts, for embedding its code into HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) and also has a clean and easy syntax which allow new developers to learn it very quickly.
Applications of Ruby Programming
Many people believe that as a scripting language, this language is capable of building web applications only. But that’s not the case. It can be used to serve other purposes as well.
- Mobile Platforms- So as we mentioned above that it’s both scripting and object-oriented programming language. So, as a result, it can also be widely used to create apps for “ios” and “Android” or can even do much more.
- Embedded Systems- Can be used to perform Lightweight implementations. Using mruby, a developer can implement this language in the programming of vending machines, network routers, and industrial robots.
- Web Applications- According to some expert developers its an excellent choice to develop web applications rather than other languages. Apps like Basecamp, Github, Sound cloud, Slides share etc.
Various Resources to learn Ruby Programming
Similar to any other language there are tons and tons of resources available to learn Ruby as well. You can learn it offline by taking numerous classes in your city or you can just opt for an online course. The main advantage of online courses is that they offer free tutorials. This facilitates you to learn without paying anything. So here we are listing some of the best available online sources.
So this was all regarding the introduction of Ruby programming.
Stay Tuned for more.