What is C# Programming?
C# often pronounced as “See Sharp or C-sharp” is an object-oriented programming language developed by Microsoft Corporation. Mainly working on the .NET framework, this programming language is capable of producing many Robust and Secured apps for windows platform, server components, web services, mobile apps and much more.
You might feel surprised to know that this language has also made to the list of Top 10 programming languages in the world. How? well, there are numerous reasons behind this, and the best part is we will be discussing each of them here.
So let’s get right into it.
“But first, let’s see what its definition has to offer.”
Definition- “C# language is a mixture of the legendary C and C++ programming. This language was developed to compete with Sun’s Java language. C# is an object-oriented programming language used with XML-based Web services on the .NET platform and designed for improving productivity in the development of Web applications as well”.
After reading this you might be thinking.
What is .NET framework?
Well, it’s a software platform again introduced by Microsoft which let the coders reuse some of the commonly used code in their apps without the worry of typing it again and again.
This saves a lot of time and effort. It’s a smart move by Microsoft as well. Since then they are maintaining this for the betterment of windows apps. So they are solely responsible for its updates and bugs. Now assuming your familiarity with C# and .NET framework. We are moving towards its next point which is.
Why was it created?
In the year 2000 Microsoft took an initiative to develop a programming language which can work under .NET framework platform. and they got succeeded in that. Anders Hejlsberg who was a software engineer in Microsoft with his team developed a language called “C#”. This language got famous in no time and now it is counted in the list of top 10 programming languages in the world.
Using this language programmer can make applications for Windows, mobile and even for web services as well.
Features of C#
- Easy to start – C# works on the same principles as C++ and Java do. All three are high-level object-oriented programming languages and widely popular. So if you already familiar with the working of C++ and Java then it will be an easy start for you.
- Widely Used- Though there are many uses of C#. But it is widely used for desktop applications and web services. So developers really work hard every day so that they can get the most out of it. This initially makes it popular and fun to work with.
- Community- C# is supported by a big community of developers. So this makes it more reliable and efficient. Community plays a very important role in a programming language. If the community is large than the tools targeting that particular language will come frequently in the market. The large community also means a lot of help and discussions are expected by the beginners who just made an entry.
- Game Development- C# is popular in terms of Game development. It offers Automatic Garbage Collection, interfaces, object-oriented approach and much more. Some of the examples of Game development using C# and .NET framework are Unity, Mono Game and CryEngine.
Applications of C#
- Windows Based Applications- With the help of .Net framework “C#” is used to develop windows based applications for desktops. Many popular Windows apps such as Microsoft Office tools, Skype, Photoshop and visual studio are developed using this language.
- Components and Controls- Components and Controls are those libraries which can be used to create something which is easily distributable and sharable. A GPS library is a great example of a library that can be built by a programmer and easily distributed to other programmers to be used in their applications. It is also used to build server components and much more.
- Web Applications- With the help of .NET framework C# is capable of producing many web applications using asp.net. It’s another popular language which can be learn right away to make web applications run smoothly on a web server. Windows applications run on both the server as well as in the client’s browser, depending on how the code is written. If C# is used as backend coding, then C# code runs on the server and the front end HTML runs within the client browser.
Various Resources to Learn C#
Similar to any other language there are tons and tons of resources available to learn C# as well. You can learn it offline by taking numerous classes in your city or you can just opt for an online course. The main advantage of online courses is that they offer free tutorials. This facilitates you to learn without paying anything. So here we are listing some of the best available online sources.
So this was all regarding the introduction of C# programming.
Stay Tuned for more.